As March arrives, Oudejans Interiors has noticed that some design trends from last year endure, while others emerge. We’re sharing these little goodies to give you the edge on what’s in - to wow friends as well as hopefully enhance your home. You heard it here first…
1. Grand Greenery – this year go big with your house plants. Anything large and lovely growing in an unusual container (consider cement, steel or wood) will make an attractive statement and cleanse indoor air. Or maybe it’s time for that vertical wall garden…
2. Fixture Phenomenon – lighting is important in any space, but now it’s really taking the limelight (pardon the pun). Large scale pendants are modular or grid-like, made from varied materials and sculptural in nature, whether the switch is on or off.
3. Hello Hexagons – geometric shapes, like the good old honeycomb pattern, are huge and currently found on everything from tiles to fabrics to furniture forms. Polygons also have an organic, contemporary feel that is just right for an interior update.
4. Intense Infusion – be bold and move beyond neutral hues by adding pops of vivid colour. Impressive and vibrant artwork, accents or funky flooring are all a great way to add interest and bring coherence to a room by providing opportunities to accessorize.
5. Mid-century Movement – a style that’s never out of style, MCM is bigger & better than ever. Recognized for its simplicity, fluid shapes and natural components (think wood ie teak, metal, glass) it's easily paired with old and new alike. Not for the affluent alone, fun finds can also be had in local flea markets.
Peter Oudejans, founder of OUDEJANS INTERIORS, provides feedback on his latest projects as well as highlighting exciting trends in the world of interior design.